Saturday, February 9, 2013

New-ish OPI additions


Staying true to my word, I have never bought a $20 bottle of any OPI polish. I refuse. C'mon, that's ridiculously too expensive for a product that, as yet, still hasn't proven to be a fabulous nail polish. Okay, they're alright, and they have some nice colours, but they're not anything special and most of the cheaper polish brands tend to copy their colours anyway, so that's usually the option I go for.

Recently, however, I stumbled across one of my retailers having an OPI "sale" for discontinued shades. It went a little something like this: Oh, okay then, I'll claw through the big tub of a million polishes to see what I can find . . . . WOO HOO! A couple of colours from the recent 007 Skyfall collection, The World Is Not Enough and On Her Majesty's Secret Service!

I have been coveting these two for a while, and even when I recently went to New Zealand I saw them at the airport and nearly got them, but thought, nah, they're still a little bit too expensive. I went on the buy Save Me from Nicki Minaj's collection and My Private Jet (the newer version), but that's for another post.

So anyway, here they are, my pretties:




 
Above: The World Is Not Enough (apologies about the tip wear)


TWINE (LOL funny acronym) is a pinky/silver micro glitter polish which presents on the nail to be a light brown metallic colour. The polish finish is smooth and unlike most glitters, it's easy to remove. This didn't want to photograph properly, but it looks nicer in sunlight light. In artificial light, it's understated, and a work-friendly colour.



 
 
Above: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

 
OHMSS is similar to TWINE in glitter characteristics. It is a blue/green/silver/gold micro-glitter polish and it is spectacular! In certain light, you can also see a purple tinge.  Check out the pic below of the polish, close-up! 
 
 
 
 
 
I also found another colour that I've wanted for a little while:  Austin-tatious Turquoise - it fits in with my obsession for all things Peacock: 
 
  



Austin-tatious Turquoise is a teal micro-glitter polish with a purple tinge in the bottle, but the purple doesn't seem to present on the nail (bit disappointing).  I like it anyway.


So I eventually got what I wanted, and for less!  I have no idea why OPI is so expensive for Australia and New Zealand.  The only thing I can think of is that the costs are associated with importing them, but c'mon, they're only nail polishes.  If the polish companies don't step up, and get real, they're going to lose business to the other brands whose polishes are, I think, just as good, and cheaper (Sinful Colours and Essence to name a couple).


NN

No comments:

Post a Comment